All times are UTC - 8 hours

1126 Can one make a lot of money growing legal cannabis in California?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1
 Post subject: 1126 California's Green-Gold Rush / Part I The Law
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 am 
Site Admin

Along the Food Chain with Michael Olson…

1126: California’s Green-Gold Rush
Part I: The Law

Loretta Moreno, Cannabis Licensing, Santa Cruz County
David McPhearson, Consultant, HdL Companies
Dave Potter, Former Supervisor, Monterey County

Can one make a lot of money growing legal– sort of– cannabis in California?

Like gold, cannabis is sold by the gram for a lot of money. But unlike gold, cannabis is easy to find. In fact, the plant can be grown by just about anyone just about anywhere.

When California passed Proposition 64 legalizing– sort of– the recreational use of cannabis, it kicked off the greatest gold rush the state has seen since that other gold was discovered at Sutter’s Mill in 1849.

Everyone, it seems, is heading to the hills to grow green-gold dollars, leaving local government officials behind to work out the legal details.

And there are a lot of legal details to work out!

First, cannabis is only sort of legal because the federal government still classifies the plant as a Category I narcotic, right up there with heroin. And the feds are still pouring money into the coffers of California’s County Sheriffs to aid them in the destruction of cannabis farms.

Second, the State of California seems to have turned over all the details of its legalization to counties and municipalities, which means counties and municipalities will contend with each other to establish the legal frameworks that can best capture the most green-gold dollars.

The great California California Green-Gold Rush of 2018 is shaping up to be a magnificent competition of state versus feds, county versus county, city versus city and of course, grower versus grower.

In Part I of our series, we look at how each contender is getting set up to compete for all those green-gold rush dollars.

(Food Chain Radio & Forums #1126: California legalized cannabis, cannabis farming, Loretta Moreno, Santa Cruz County Cannabis Licensing, David McPhearson, HdL Companies Consultant and Dave Potter, former Supervisor, Monterey County)