All times are UTC - 8 hours

Are GMOs now above the law?
* Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
* No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
* Maybe 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: WHAT'S TO EAT IN THE MONSANTO PROTECTION ACT?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:33 am 
Site Admin

They say there are two sides to every story, and that is most certainly true when it comes to the story about the genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, in our food chain.

There is the side of producers, and there is the side of consumers.

For producers, the technology of genetic engineering has made the job of growing food much easier. Before GMOs, a farmer had to go out into the fields to cull weeds and pests by hand and machine. With GMOs, crops can be sprayed with herbicides and infused with pesticides, and thus one farmer can now grow thousands of acres of crops with no weeds or pests.

To protect this transformative technology, biotech agriculture lobbied government for a “Farmer Assurance Provision” that would allow their GMOs to be planted anywhere at anytime without interference from laws or courts.

For a significant number of consumers, there is uncertainty with respect to the efficacy of eating foods that have been saturated in herbicides and infused with pesticides, and they have taken to calling that government Provision the “Monsanto Protection Act.”

Two sides of the story: Farmer Assurance Provision or Monsanto Protection Act.

And so we ask…

What does agriculture hope to accomplish with its Farmer Assurance Provision? Why do many call the Farmer Assurance Provision the Monsanto Protection Act? And…

What’s to eat in the Monsanto Protection Act? (Food Chain Radio & Forums #924)

(Tags: biotech, genetically-modified organisms, GMOs, Farmer Assurance Provision, Monsanto Protection Act, pesticides, herbicides, farming, GE food, Terry Wanzek, agriculture, North Dakota)

Post subject: Re: WHAT'S TO EAT IN THE MONSANTO PROTECTION ACT?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:04 am 
Site Admin

This from Tom...

I listened to the program this morning. I was particularly interested in the comments of ND State Republican "farmer"/senator Wanzek. He equated people protesting Mansanto with those of Occupy Wall Street. When this idiot made this statement, what little credibility he had up tp that point, went out the window.

I am not a Monsanto protester OR supporter. I do not trust the Monsanto/govt. "partnership," particularly in light of the last few weeks where the govt. is clearly becoming more intrusive into lives of Americans. Monsanto will have the ability to control engineering of seeds and licensing thereof. They could easily control the grown food supply. As to being a protester of Monsanto, the fact the the protests are embraced by such outfits as America First! and moveOn.org is enough to give me cause as to the real intentions by these groups behind the protests.

What really bothers me in this is the Monsanto power grab that benefits directly from the HR 875 of 2009. This government "protection" act/racket was rammed through by ultra-liberal Rosa DeLauro, D-CT whose husband Stanley Greenburg is a lawyer working for and in his current relation to agricultural biotechnology corporation Monsanto! Conflict of interest? Naw, not with a Democrat! Not with the party of the peope! We see lots of familiar names back in 2009 supporting this "protection" including equally liberal and obnoxious Jim McDermott, D-WA who chided people last week with regards to the IRS snooping on people/groups getting 501 (c) (4) group tax exemptions.

Monsanto is now incestuous with the self-serving Democrat-led sharks in DC. And yet to have worthy protests against GMO companies like Monsanto supported by such useless left-wing outfits as America First!, moveOn.org, and the George Soros wienies is equally troubling. Where to turn?