All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 752 IS SOY A CRUEL & UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT FOOD?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:22 am 
Site Admin

You will find it listed on the ingredients label of baked goods– breads, cereals, cookies, and crackers– beverages, dairy type products, meat, poultry and fish products, and pastas.

The bean that cannot be eaten alive has become the nation’s most popular food ingredient. Furthermore, it is now held up as the nation’s premiere health food. “Put down that hamburger and milk,” the knowing will say. “Eat this veggie burger and drink some soy.”

However, when a Florida prison removed meat from the menu and replaced it with soy, prisoner Eric Harris filed a cruel and unusual punishment lawsuit, claiming that Lake Correctional Institution’s policy of serving a soy diet is seriously affecting the quality of his life sentence.

The Weston A. Price Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to “restoring nutrient-dense foods to the American diet through education, research, and activism,” has announced it will pay for the Harris lawsuit, and furthermore, has announced its ambition to bring a class action lawsuit on behalf of other prisoners, prison guards and taxpayers against the feeding of soy. This leads us to ask…

Is soy a cruel and unusual punishment food? (Food Chain Radio #752)

Post subject: Re: 752 IS SOY A CRUEL & UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT FOOD?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

This from Minh Tsai, Founder of Hodo Soy Beanery...

Michael,
As an artisanal tofu producer making traditional tofu (not a highly processed soy "food" producer), I am looking forward to hearing this conversation on Saturday. I would also appreciate that you make a clear distinction between traditional tofu (a whole food that is not processed and continues to be made and eaten in the same form for more than 3000 years) VS. highly processed soy "food" using soy protein isolate.
Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

This from Tana...

"My nutritionist friend strongly decries soy in our diets. It's almost all GMO, and it really messes with your estrogen levels (especially if you're a man, says she). So I cut a lot out. It's hard to give up tamari, though."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

This from Ron...

I thought to send you a few items that would make things more difficult to discuss
since the focus is on US prisoners and eating or being forced to loose bone strength
in the US jails. If they went on a hunger strike to protect their health and opposed
GM foods.. that would be a great moment. They already complain about food problems
by eating soy... (article somewhere on the subject) But worse GMO (GE or GEO) laced soy coming from Brazil, or Argentina to the US - although US produces similar product could be the kickback of Monsanto -- send it abroad as with DDT and