All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 682 SHOULD CHILDREN BE ALLOWED TO WORK ON FARMS?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 am 
Site Admin

Grandfather was an exploiter of child labor. I know, as he thoroughly exploited my labor on his farm, and as a consequence, by the tender age of six I had become a heavy equipment operator.

I remember the day as if it were yesterday, because I was so frightened I peed my pants!

I was tagging along out in the fields when he looked down at me and said, “I need your help.” Next thing I knew, he picked me up and thrust me into the seat of his big red Farmall tractor. “Now I’m going to put this tractor in gear and you are going to steer it down the rows and I’ll meet you at the other end of the field.”

Somehow I made it to the other end of the field, though not without the aforementioned accident, and true to his promise, grandfather was there to meet me. “Now” he said, “you are a tractor driver!”

Grandfather was not the only exploiter of my childhood labor. By the time I reached mid teens, I had been exploited by many farmers in Montana’s Yellowstone Valley. I was, in fact, their teenage herbicide.

I had to work my way through my youth, and much of that work was on the farm.

U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis recently said, “We simply cannot, and this administration will not, stand by while youngsters working on farms are robbed of their childhood.”

The Secretary’s declaration leads us to ask….

Should children be allowed to work on farms?

Post subject: Re: 682 SHOULD CHILDREN BE ALLOWED TO WORK ON FARMS?
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:21 am 
Site Admin

This from Jim Prevor... and its worth the read.

Michael...

I saw you are doing a piece on child labor on farms. I thought you might find the article below of use to you:

All the best –

Jim Prevor
http://www.PerishablePundit.com

http://www.perishablepundit.com/index.p ... 9&pundit=3

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:22 am 
Site Admin

This from Jim S.

Mine do, legal or not. Their chores are based on their level of maturity and safety factors. Daughter is almost 7 and son almost 10. Children need to learn responsibility and work ethic as early as possibly. This would solve a lot of problems in the country and this reliance on the government and sense of entitlement many folks have.

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:24 am 
Site Admin

This from Walter J...

Society is failing and that has come about since people moved off of the land and children no longer have the connection to daily chores. These people who demand that children sit idle doing nothing are destroying the future.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:26 am 
Site Admin

This from Patty Martin...

Having worked on the farms when I was a kid in the 70's I was surprised to learn in the early 1990's that such work was prohibited. I'm curious when this change in the law took place and who championed it. I suspect this law may have been imposed to protect kids from the hazardous substances that are now the backbone of modern agriculture. If you can't use kids then you can use illegals and justify using really toxic chemicals, including hazardous waste fertilizers. Illegals can't sue you for damages and they go back to Mexico when ill.

Just my thoughts as I wondered too why kids aren't allowed to work on farms anymore.

Patty

Patricia Martin
Former mayor, Quincy WA
Safe Food and Fertilizer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:30 am 
Site Admin

This from Onion Bob...

In the farming doings, one of the things is to keep from going BROKE!!, which calls for all sorts of things when you have a growing family like some of us did we tryed to keep food on the table ..as the greedy ones got bigger, bigger like from 30 cow operation, go to 100 cow operation, they would get all the retyered farmers land for them so if you happen need 20 acres extra to rent you were just out of luck.

As one that has been in them situations, I will say this to any one OK when those so called big operators haft to pay their bills at their lenders. I have no feelings for them when they can't meet their debt.

As for having children helping on family farms, is one of the best ways to get them to see the light, and laTER GET A JOB ELSE WHERE FOR THEM SELF more farm children have had this training ,and then went in to other jobs where they didnt haft to work 24-7 to make ends meet ..

dear friend M ,i would like to say some things plainer, but i don,t know whom will read this .. please take , care . from a reyred farmer , whom knows...

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

This from Paul G.

Great show. Seems the lady forgot to read the bill. I was 9 when my father taught me to drive tractor. An International Harvester, the company that acquired Farmall. Spent many hours on farmalls as well. Ultimately this boils down to the Children's rights being touted by the UN.